In 2013 the Savelli firm has clocked 115 years. In the course of its long history, it has participated in all events, big and small, which have characterized the life of Saint Peter’s square, managing to satisfy the demands of the numerous and variegated clients, with its solid business experience. On the move, but always careful offering quality products and assistance in a lively atmosphere, with the assistance of his competent staff.
Today, there are four selling points: "Galleria Savelli" in St. Peter’s Square; "Savelli Arte e Tradizione" in via Paolo VI, "Savelli Gift" in via della Conciliazione, "Art Studio Cafè" in via dei Gracchi.
The first two count many decades of hard work and are characterizes by their large exhibition spaces where the big number of objects talk about Rome and its wonders.The other two sites are the most recent, both taking their force from the family tradition.
THE SAVELLI FAMILY
The name "Savelli" has a very ancient origin and its history is weaved with that of the medieval and modern Rome. The first to give it notoriety were Cencio and Jacopo who both became Popes during the XIII century, the first by the name of Onorio III (1216-1227) and the second by that of Onorio IV (1285-1287).
The rise to the highest positions of the ecclesiastical hierarchy at first, and the political activity later, led the family to govern important feuds in the Latin territory: Castel Gandolfo, Albano and Palombara Sabina. In Rome, after the nomination as Marshals of the Holy Roman Church and Principal Guardian of the Conclave, the Savellis were empowered to exercise criminal jurisdiction for a long time.
The name of via Corte Savella, which appears on the ancient roman maps, and the actual via di Monserrato, remind the presence in that area of the Court and of many prisons, which have kept their name.
The two main branches of the family extinguished between 1700 and 1800. Nevertheless, some collateral generations survived.
In 1898, the palatine guard Lorenzo Savelli started an activity aimed at selling objects of sacred art in the courtyard of S.Marta, inside the Vatican. The influx of pilgrims, just two years after the opening, called by the Jubilee of 1900, the first after the fall of the pontifical State and the advent of the Kingdom of Italy, allowed the Savelli’s young firm to consolidate and launch itself into a slow but progressive expansion strategy.
In the course of its long experience in this activity, always run in the Vatican area, the Savelli group has selected a wide range of religious articles and artistic objects, all from the best Italian manufacturers.
In the spacious stores as well as on the website, you can buy rosaries, medals, crosses, amongst a wide choice of materials, from the simplest to the most precious and between handcraft or artistic works.
The sector dedicated to sculpture and sacred art is very miscellaneous and variegated: concerning sculpture, the works exposed include either reproductions of masterpieces from famous Italian artists or original creations; for sacred art, the items offered range from liturgical objects, to artistic cribs and pictures with religious subjects by highly quoted artists. Mosaics are the Savelli Art and Tradition’s pride. Most of them are realized in the artistic workshop founded by the family around 1980. You can also find books, items from stamp collecting, numismatic, souvenirs and many others.
The range of choice is extraordinarily wide. The constant research is a guarantee for the customer’s purchases. This is in fact the philosophy that has allowed Savelli to always satisfy the more variegated customer requirements and to be numbered amongst the leaders in this sector in Italy and in the world.
THE ART OF MOSAIC
Mosaic is one of the most ancient expressions of decorative art. At Uric in Mesopotamia, about 5000 years ago, the technique of mosaic was used for the first time to decorate the columns of temples with small pieces of colored terracotta. The first panels of mosaic realized with pieces of marble were found in the city of Ur, and date back to about 2500 years B.C.
In the course of the centuries the technique evolved, above all with the introduction of colored glass: so this is how mosaic acquires a big chromatic variety. The art of mosaic is used by Greeks and Romans to decorate temples and homes, but assumes a big impulse in the first era of Christianity and during Byzantine period when the fabrication of tiny squared pieces of pure gold started.
Many masterpieces testify its indelibility and beauty. The main Italian monument of modern age in which mosaic triumphs over painting is the Saint Peter’s Basilica: on the walls and in the pictures you can find over 28,000 mosaic pieces of different shades of colors.
SAVELLI AND THE ART OF MOSAIC
The art of mosaic was introduced in the firm by Lorenzo Savelli, the actual owner, who has the same name of the ancestor palatine guard, founder of this activity. Within fourty years, supported in this work by his children, Alessandra, Luigi and Pietro, Lorenzo has composed a prestigious collection of roman minute mosaics of the 18th and 19th centuries. Some pieces of this collection are permanently exposed in the Vatican museums.
From the entrepreneur’s point of view, he then has given form to his passion by creating a mosaic workshop within the firm, entrusting the management in the hands of mosaic experts trained by the Vatican Mosaic Studio. The workshop runs didactic activities and produces works for sale. The teaching field, specialized in, is that of minute mosaic in spun enamels, nowadays known as micro mosaic.
This technique of mosaic in spun enamels, born in Rome at the end of the 18th century was appreciated in Europe during the 19th century. The most ancient works can be distinguished by the use of glazed tesserae inferior to a millimeter.
During the 20 years of its history, Savelli mosaic workshop has trained about 120 mosaic artists. So far, the firm continues to work with its former students either for part-time collaborations or full-time employment.